Monday, August 22, 2005

~The Question Of Choice And Consequence~

What would you do when someone strikes you with a knife and you only have your palm to defend yourself? Wounds and blood are inevitable, hence it narrows down to another question.

The question of choice...

Would it be the inner palm where the lines of your fate are engraved? Or would be the outer hand, where you risk hurting the veins and bones visible to the naked eye? Either or, both sides will definitely hurt. But which will hurt more? Which side do you favour protection to the other? Ands what are the consequences if either of the sides get hurt? But most importantly, can you handle the consequences?

No doubt it was a moment of folly/thrill/laziness when I took the dark, narrow path in order to reach home earlier. The difference of taking the safe detour to walking the dim-litted path was about 10 minutes odd. It would be fine if I were to reach home safely. That would earn me an extra 10 minutes to wash up or to catch on with my sleep. But if I were to have met up with a robber, the consequences will be drastic as compared to the former.

Result 01 - I choose the deserted path, get through it safely, get 10 minutes worth of extra time. Now it drives down to another Y-junction. Would I want to keep it mum? And occasionally take the passageway again? Or would I want to boast my feat to all my friends? And let them know how brave I was to have taken the path alone? Perhaps, after telling all my friends, someone might have overheard it and he choose to stay in stealth along the pathway one fine evening I decide to take the pathway again. Do revert to the first paragraph to see one of the possible results.

Result 02 - I analyse the end-results of taking the passageway. The first paragraph would be an ideal one. Now, I weigh the gains of the two ways. 10 minutes of extra time against a slightly lengthy but safe walk home. Now I weigh the cons of the same two pathways. Dark and narrow path, having a higher risk of being robbed or even injured along the journey. Or a brightly litted pathway, having to walk a little longer and perspire a little more. And having that 10 minutes less. Guess I would still choose the safe route.

Now, lets talk about result 01 crossing over to result 02. I could choose to keep mum about it, and pray that no one will ever find out. All will be fine, until I realise that someone saw me taking that path. The secret is now being revealed. And I will risk being caught in the act.

I could take the path once without being caught, then after having thought about it, will never stray back wayward. I would have then crossed over to result 02. It is good, but deep down inside, it remains a fact that I have taken the path before.

Blood stains can be washed off by mere ale, but stains that are in the mind will always be there, no matter how much you try to clean it off. Perhaps after a while, you would take little notice of it already, but the fact is, it is there for keeps.

I have a friend whom I have known in the army for about 2 years now. Last week, he went clubbing with some of my colleagues and got to befriend a girl. Under the influence of alcohol, with the supporting orchestra of music and ambience, they danced, hugged and even kissed. Then came the time where the night would end.

Now came the moment of Choice.

Would he go home on his own, having enjoyed his time at the club and left it that way? Or would he attempt to bring her back to his place and take the plunge? Guess what? He chose the latter. What's worse that they did it not once, not twice, not even three times! He was f#%king her over and over and over again, throughout the whole week! All this would seem fine if he was single...

The first time I went out with him was the first time I met his girlfriend, and ever since, we would always hang out together. It came to a point that I was as close to her as compared to me being close to my friend. I liked their presence, as a couple and as an individual. They have been together for about 6 years now, and I have always hailed them as the model couple.

Along came the moment of Choice. And Consequence.

Refer back to the first paragraph where I have mentioned about having flesh on both sides of the hand.

01 - I keep it mum, and hopes it will be his last scandal. And bury all truth of it from the faces of the Earth.

02 - I tell her, and save her from more hurt, and result in their breakup. Given her character, I will not rule out the possibility of her commiting suicide.I do not want her to end up having the same faith as Therasia, even though she's fictional. The position I am in may seem a common fix, but when you are wedged in between, it is confusing. What should I do...

2 comments:

ningster said...

Id chose my palm..but with a sharp knife...my whole hand wud be ruined. Either way...either choice...each hurts.

LIke ur entry..hmm intruiging...extra brownie points for you! Wahahaha

As for your fren...I have nothing that i havnt said in my blog (happens to be the latest entry as well)
For the sake of the girl, he shud be castrated...simple put...

ningadingaling.blogspot.com

Stephie said...

Hey know how it feels. Sometimes, doing the right thing can feel so wrong although its technically right. i guez then its all about weighing the right timing and setting.
"There is a season for every activity under heaven....a time to weep & a time to laugh... a time to keep & a time to throw away... a time to be silent & a time to speak... a time for love & a time for war...Whatever is has already been, & what will be has been before..."
There's no easy way out. Either ways you're still caught in the middle. Judgement will always befall a person in time to come if truly he deserves it. The truth will come to light sooner or later. Hopefully sooner.